Sunday, September 4, 2011

First for everything...

Been trying to figure out my next post. And then I had an epiphany! I was like, dude, just start from the beginning!

Actually, before I get to the beginning, I should probably introduce myself first. Here goes: My name is Carrie. I have a bagillion nicknames, from Dot to Cupcake (no kidding, but there's only one person, so far, that can call me that!) to Carebear to... Well, you get the picture.

I'm incredibly shy, but only up until the point of meeting a person. I'm verrry easygoing, which is why, I think, I get along with just about everybody. Basically, if you're nice to me, I'll be your bestfriend.

I do have walls though. I hate talking about myself. I guard my heart well. But I also wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm cheesy. I'm laid back. I love wearing sweaters and yoga pants--just give me the weather for it! I contradict myself. I get cold super easily. I like being alone, but I hate feeling lonely (who doesn't?). I love to people watch. I'm told that I'm oblivious, especially by my Partner-In-Crime, D, AKA Diana. D is what I call her in my head. (PERHAPS SHE WILL INTRODUCE HERSELF SOON? *wink wink*) I love secondary colors: purple, green and orange. You can always catch me doodling on scraps of paper. To get away from the horrors of real life, I escape in whatever world books can offer me. Or I make up my own stories and write and write until I forget. I like post-its and highlighters and paperclips and stapling things. My grammar sucks and I'm comma happy. You have been warned!

What else is there? I'm 27, and single (am I a spinster yet?). I have two peek-a-pom dogs, named Chirippa and Pichu. I'll choose chocolate over vanilla. Mangoes and watermelons are the best. And I take my tea with honey.

This is getting tl;dr, isn't it? Anyway, all that stuff doesn't really say anything about me. And you probably aren't interested LOL

So, let's get to the beginning...

Who remembers their first romance novel? I do! I remember just how I obtained it. I remember who I was with when I got it. I remember opening the book and flipping to the first page. I remember feeling both very grown up and like a kid in a candy store all at once. I remember when I finished, and feeling like I had a new friend.

The novel: Zoya, by Danielle Steele. Zoya is a story that was beautifully crafted with detailed history, memorable characters and an epic love story. A classic. So glad that it was my first. Zoya was the perfect novel to introduce me into the world of romance.

I'm not going to post a review, that's not what this post is about XD This post is about beginnings. And, for me, it began in high school, when I went with one of my best friends to the library. And we found the romance section! It was awkward. It was embarrassing. It was awesome. I remember how we stuffed our backpacks full of Silhouettes and Harlequins and whatever else that caught our eye. It was absolutely thrilling. One of my best memories. Ever.

And that was where it all began. :)

As life continued, I found myself drifting away from the romance section and towards the suspense section. And after that, the memoirs section. Then back to the suspense and the thrillers.

And then--And then D pulled me back into the wonderful world of romance with her new found enthusiasm for it. Here. In this romantical world. Now. Everything is beautiful.

It seems now that I'm older (and hopefully a bit more experienced), I feel like reading romance is quite different for me than it was a decade ago. Not that the stories changed. They still generally run under the same formula. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I respect the stories more. I see things under a different light, in a new perspective. I'm applying and relating. I'm learning a great deal about people and how they interact. There's just something about romance novels that are special.

I feel like I've come full circle, but made it into a different circle that's more bright and colorful. I guess to sum it all up, I'm glad to find myself back in the romance section. ;)

♥ c

2 comments:

  1. C, first and foremost, I want to thank you. Thank you for doing this with me, for joining me in the obsession and the insanity and all the craziness This entails. You know it. Secondly, I want to tell you that you are amazing. An awesome friend, beautiful woman, a good person. Lastly, I don't know how or where This would take us, but know that I'm glad I'm on this journey with you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. No thanks necessary, D. I want to be able to do this with you. It's fun and it gives us reason to connect all the more. Wherever this journey takes us, I'm glad to be a part of it. And you, my dear friend, are all the more awesome, beautiful and all that's good! <3

    ReplyDelete