Thursday, January 5, 2012

REVIEW: Marriage Made On Paper by Maisey Yates



Goodreads
Pretend marriage, real wedding night! 

When ambitious public relations expert Lily Ford signs a contract with hot-shot property tycoon Gage Forrester, she inadvertently signs her life away! A tough taskmaster, he wants Lily at his beck and call 24/7. 

Gage expects employees to go above and beyond. So, when he needs to generate some positive PR, his solution is completely unexpected – he proposes to Lily! All in the name of business, of course. 

This may be a deal struck on paper, but Gage is a stickler for tradition: his bride must wear white on their wedding night! 

21st Century Bosses Impossible, infuriating and utterly irresistible!




It was just an okay read for me.  I was hoping for more from the story,  but it just didn't deliver. 





There were just too many issues that bothered me in the book (big things and small things too;  for example,  he is a client,  he is not the boss.  Where are the other clients, her employees, and how does she spend all of her time with just him?). 


First of all, I felt like there was too much internalizing;  we spent way too much time inside their heads, and it got very repetitive too,  so it's not like we get to see them explore anddiscover new things about themselves.  It got pretty tiring after a while. 


Second, I felt this story really just focused on the hero and the heroine; what happened to the sister, at the very least?  You'd think she'd play a more prominent role, considering how things were set-up,  but she didn't even figure in the story.  Speaking of which, I like me a convenient marriage plot,  but this (oh, and yes,  it was more of an engagement, so even that title is misleading) barely made sense to me.  It didn't contribute to the story.  


The last and worst for me personally, is the abrupt ending.  (I had to stick it out to the end, didn't I?  I needed to know if there was any chance at all for me to like it like it.)  I even found myself glancing at the page number to see why the turnaround and everything was happening so fast.  It just wasn't realistic for me how both of them have come to their own conclusions about themselves,  about each other,  and about the lives they will have together.  Because it just wasn't authentic and substantive for me, two stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment