Tuesday, March 6, 2012

REVIEW: The Runaway Countess by Leigh LaValle


Genre: historical romance
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary can be found in Diana's review here.

Review:
Sizzling hot from start to finish!

I can hardly think after all the emotions. The feelings. Oh, how these feelings and thoughts are still resonating within me even after hours I had put my tablet down. And it was a struggle to put it down. I kept going back, wanting to re-read my favorite parts and just soak in these moments LaValle created.

LaValle's voice is very distinct and I'm kind of in love with the way she can string words together and create these profound sentences that unravel in such a moving way. Her voice. Her characters. Her characters' voices.

Both Lord Radford and Mazie are incredibly well developed. The way they speak, their personalities, so defined and complex. Love how they are so very telling in how they express themselves by their actions and words and words they choose not to say.

The chemistry between Lord Radford and Mazie is undeniable and present and so very real, it hurts in the most delicious way.

One thing that I absolutely loved about Radford and Mazie is that neither lost themselves, they stayed true to their character from start to finish! None of the OOC business to suit the plot. Mazie and Radford were all about learning who they were and learning to trust in that, whatever they were to be and become.

[SPOILERS under the cut!]

Straitlaced, beautiful, Lord Radford was in for it as soon as he opened the door and laid his eyes upon Mazie, a woman like no other. A woman that would challenge him and test him and ultimately, bring out the worst and best in him. And Radford is such a MAN, it would have drove me crazy if he were not to be so evenly matched.

Situation and circumstance turned them into enemies, each unwilling to give into the lust that they each knew was there. Each too proud, headstrong and needing to protect themselves from the other. The game was on. Neither would give in, too much was at stake. Radford and Mazie were in their element as they exchanged witty barbs, and well placed retorts, hooks and blocks. However, at some point, it got personal. Too personal. Could they set aside their thoughts and listen to their hearts? Will it all be for naught? How could these two find it in themselves to trust their supposed enemy? The way of life hangs in the balance for both Mazie and Radford. Love would surely conquer all, or will it?

Questions, so many questions. One thing is for certain, while reading I never once stopped to question reading this story and wanting to know how it would end. My heart was invested from the very first kiss.

It took me hours to find myself able to compose my thoughts, and even now I am still reeling over what I just read. It is a beautiful thing, this feeling. So immersed was I in this story. To feel these feelings, to be filled with these wonderful emotions that LaValle evoked in me. By reading this intensely amazing, beautiful story, I found myself in laughter, in tears and holding my breath. Suspended in an emotional state where my heart just ached for Radford and Mazie. Their love is forbidden. Their love should be impossible, and yet... their love is a necessary love, a needed kind of love, a love that just took my breath away. [END spoilers]

Have I said too much? Surely, this story deserves more praise! More stars than I could give. After having read Leigh LaValle's thrilling debut novel, I am excited to say I am a fan and will most surely read her future works. I want more!

1 comment:

  1. "It took me hours to find myself able to compose my thoughts, and even now I am still reeling over what I just read. It is a beautiful thing, this feeling. So immersed was I in this story. To feel these feelings, to be filled with these wonderful emotions that LaValle evoked in me. By reading this intensely amazing, beautiful story, I found myself in laughter, in tears and holding my breath. Suspended in an emotional state where my heart just ached for Radford and Mazie."

    Le sigh.

    Oh, C. You know we haven't said enough. I'm almost afraid we'll spontaneously combust when we see each other tomorrow, lol. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete